The Raven

The Raven
Nevermore

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fourth-Grader reviews "Portnoy's Complaint"

Fourth-Grade Summer Reading: Portnoy’s Complaint


By Jacob Lambert posted at 11:38 am on August 11, 2010 9


[Recent studies] suggest that children learn best when they are allowed to select their own books… [According to one researcher,] “I don’t think the majority of these kids ever read during the summer, but [being] given the opportunity to select their own books and discuss what they knew… was, in itself, motivating to them.” -The New York Times


My Summer Book Report


By Zach McCormick


Mrs. Bianco’s class, Grade 4

The book I picked to read during my summer vacation was Portnoy’s Complaint, by Philip Roth. I picked Portnoy’s Complaint because it was right on my dad’s bookshelf and also because the cover was very yellow and the writing on the cover was very swirly. And I was also pretty curious about Portnoy and his complaint. What is he complaining about, I wondered? I like to complain sometimes, like when my mom forgets to put Fruit By the Foot in my lunchbox, or if she puts a plum in there instead of Fruit By the Foot. So I thought it would be neat to see what he’s complaining about.

The first thing he complains about is his mom. I don’t think he likes her very much, because she does really bad things to him. She won’t even let him eat French fries or hamburgers! She says, “Don’t eat French fries with Melvin Weiner after school.” My mom doesn’t want me to eat French fries that much either, but Portnoy can’t EVER have them or he’ll get in trouble.

Portnoy also complains about his dad, because he doesn’t know how to hold a baseball bat! Portnoy also talks a lot about his dad’s rectum, which is WEIRD. I never read a book that had the word “rectum” in it before, except maybe the dictionary. I know it’s in there because I looked it up when I was reading “Portnoy’s Complaint.” It means “tush.”

Also, besides “rectum,” there are a LOT of bad words in Portnoy’s Complaint, by Philip Roth! Portnoy says the “f” word a LOT. I felt kind of bad when I was reading it, because I knew I wasn’t supposed to see those words, and my dad might catch me and then I wouldn’t be able to watch “Phineas and Ferb” for a whole week. That’s what happened when I used his drill, even though I was wearing goggles and I didn’t go ALL the way through the car door. He never caught me reading Portnoy’s Complaint, though.


Portnoy also says “bullshit” and “nipple” and “bitches” and “whore” and “ass.” Also, he says “prick” and “tits” and “sex.” And also, “suck” and “crap” and “diarrhea.” (Sorry, Mrs. B!)


There are a lot of words in Portnoy’s Complaint that I didn’t really get, like shtupp and schlong and shmutzig and punim. I don’t know what they mean, but they’re really fun to say! Shtupp shtupp shtupp shtupp schlong schlong schlong schlong!


There’s a whole part in Portnoy’s Complaint called “WHACKING OFF” that I didn’t really get. Philip Roth, who wrote Portnoy’s Complaint, keeps talking about penis, so maybe it’s about peeing? Which I like, especially after asparagus, so it smells like asparagus pee. But Portnoy doesn’t talk about asparagus pee at all. Maybe Portnoy isn’t talking about peeing?


What’s a “vaselined upright”?


I guess the main part of Portnoy’s Complaint is how he has all of these girlfriends, but he doesn’t really like them, and that’s sort of WEIRD. I don’t have a girlfriend really, but I think if I did, I would like her. DON’T TELL HER, Mrs. B, but I had a SUPER HUGE CRUSH on Danielle S. last year. She wasn’t my girlfriend because I never talked to her, but I really sort of liked her and never threw at her in dodgeball, except the one time when I hit her in the ear and she had to go home. But Portnoy even calls one of his girlfriends a monkey! Monkeys are cool, especially ones that wear clothes, but I don’t think I’d want a monkey for my girlfriend. She’d probably smell bad and have bugs on her, and also she’d try to eat my Fruit By the Foot.

I wonder if you had a monkey girlfriend though, if you could play baseball with her. I saw a movie one time where a monkey was a pitcher on a baseball team. That was the best movie. If my monkey girlfriend could play baseball than maybe it would be okay if she was a monkey. Portnoy never did that with his monkey. They were always doing something else, I think.

But Portnoy doesn’t like his monkey girlfriend, especially when he calls her a “crazy bitch.” (Sorry, Mrs. B!) He doesn’t like ANYTHING, to tell you the truth. He doesn’t like his parents, or his girlfriends, or even himself, really! He says he’s a barbarian, and a pig, and also “psychoneurotic,” which I’m not sure what that means, but it doesn’t really sound very great. We had an assembly last year where they did this play, and it was all about how you should like yourself. They sang “I’m unique and unrepeatable” a bunch of times, and it got stuck in my head for about a month! I don’t think Portnoy saw this play, which had puppets in it.

I didn’t really like Portnoy’s Complaint by Philip Roth, even if it had a yellow cover and swirly letters. It was pretty hard to read, because I didn’t understand a lot of the words, and it made me feel kind of gross, like the time I ate all those Rice Krispies treats at the beach. There were a lot of curses, and Portnoy was angry all the time. He complained about EVERYTHING. I probably should’ve picked Diary of A Wimpy Kid for my summer reading book.


P.S., Mrs. B—what does “Jewish guilt” mean?


Share this article


E-mail, Reddit, StumbleUpon, Share on Tumblr .More from the Millions


Support the Millions, subscribe to our RSS feed, become a fan on Facebook .9 Responses to “Fourth-Grade Summer Reading: Portnoy’s Complaint”


AmyCat


at 6:16 pm on August 11, 2010 Hey, kid, it could be worse: when I was even younger than you are, I tried to read my mom’s copy of _1984_… Ick! I had nightmares about rats for weeks!


If you want something MUCH better than DIARY OF A WIMPY KID, and without words which Ms. B. won’t want to see in your Book Report, check out SO YOU WANT TO BE A WIZARD by Diane Duane…


Seriously, this was a HOOT. Thanks.


TG


at 10:32 am on August 12, 2010 Mrs. B, he should read HIS MONKEY WIFE next! It’s about a monkey! Who is also a wife! I say that because he says he likes monkeys and plus I like monkeys, too. I don’t know if I like wives yet but I think I might.


Lisa


at 11:19 am on August 12, 2010 This post reminds me of when my 11th grade English teacher suggested I write a book report about FANNY HILL. My parents brought me to the book store and we bought it; I think my mother knew what it was but figured I was old enough to read it. My recollection is that my book report focused on FH as a cultural phenomenon.


I still haven’t read PORTNOY’S COMPLAINT, which I heard about as a child: I thought the title was “PORT NOISE COMPLAINT,” probably because I lived on an island with a power plant.


Ken


at 7:40 pm on August 12, 2010 The book seems like it was written by a fourth-grader, so I guess it makes sense to have it reviewed by a fourth-grader.


Zachary Overline


at 11:36 pm on August 12, 2010 Hahah. So delightfully inappropriate — love the post script.


GuiltyFeat


at 2:33 am on August 13, 2010 There’s nothing in Portnoi that the kids haven’t already sen and heard in reruns of Friends and Seinfeld and their Mom’s box set of Sex and the City.


Reading List: A 10-year old reads “Portnoy’s Complaint” and more… « New Voices


at 1:32 am on August 26, 2010 [...] What happens when a pre-pubescent non-Jewish kid reads a revolutionarily risque Philip Roth book about a frustrated MOT? Sentences like, “There are a lot of words in Portnoy’s Complaint that I didn’t really get, like shtupp and schlong and shmutzig and punim. I don’t know what they mean, but they’re really fun to say!” and “What’s a ‘vaselined upright?’” [The Millions] [...]

cherylllr


at 5:55 pm on September 10, 2010 GuiltyFeat, not everyone lets their children watch tv unsupervised. I hope you’re not a parent.

Batgirl


at 11:25 pm on September 14, 2010 And I thought reading Oedipus Rex in 4th grade was bad haha, this is amazing, thanks for the laughs, and trust me you dont want to know the meaning of those things, at least for now……ahhh the innocence of being a kid, wish I could go back to those days ;D


Post a Response


Click here to cancel reply.


Comments with unrelated links will be deleted. If you'd like to reach our readers, consider buying an advertisement instead.


Anonymous and pseudonymous comments that do not add to the conversation will be deleted at our discretion.


Name


E-mail


Website (optional)


Comment

Portnoy complained about EVERYTHING. I probably should’ve picked Diary of A Wimpy Kid.


Jacob Lambert is a regular contributor to The Millions. He is a freelance humor writer and columnist in Philadelphia, where he lives with his wife and itty-bitty son. Through the wonders of Twitter, you can follow his work here.


Don't miss: A Year in Reading 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005


Best of the Millennium; Readers' List






A new way to browse The Millions! Books and Reviews






Bookmark these links to stay on top of the hottest books:


Hot 100
Awards
Movers & Shakers
Bargain Books
Kindle Bestsellers






Subscribe to RSS feeds for new releases: Literary fiction (for Kindle)
Biography
Graphic Novels
Food
History
Nonfiction
Science
Travel
New Release RSS Feeds for Movies, Music and More


partnership


Those Guys Have All the Fun


The gossip flows freely in this fascinating oral history of ESPN, the network that almost wasn’t.






>> From The Staff Recommends






More From Annals of Japery


Paris, Wikipedia, and My Middle Age Crisis August 25, 2011


The Dog Massage May 10, 2011


The Hot Stove Report: A Parody November 24, 2010


T-Shirts I Have Known September 28, 2010


Bulletin: Interview with Tom McCarthy, General Secretary, INS September 27, 2010


View All


More From Quick Hits


Older and Wiser August 4, 2011


Original Sin July 27, 2011


On Treating Books Badly July 20, 2011


Exclusive: The First Lines of Haruki Murakami’s 1Q84 July 18, 2011


On Bloomsdays Past June 16, 2011


View All


Other Recent Articles


Getting Out: Escaping with Joan Didion October 14, 2011


The Gay Question: Death in Venice, By Nightfall, and The Art of Fielding October 13, 2011


2011 National Book Award Finalists Announced October 12, 2011


Guilty Pleasures: Julie Salamon’s The Devil’s Candy & Wendy and the Lost Boys October 12, 2011


Bartleby’s Occupation of Wall Street October 11, 2011


View All


Recent Comments


Laura says "I loved that essay when I read it, too a year or two ago, when I was just starting to get disenchanted with New York and found words of hers that..."


Getting Out: Escaping with Joan Didion


elle says "Bravo, Sam. I could not have said it better. @Jack M: it can and does happen. It would make everyone more..."


The Gay Question: Death in Venice, By Nightfall, and The Art of Fielding


Jack M says "Sam, isn’t the author of this article merely questioning consistancy of character? Usually someone who..."


The Gay Question: Death in Venice, By Nightfall, and The Art of Fielding


Jan Faber says "A most balanced and insightful review; thank you. I found that SB’s grindingly unfunny grotesqueries cheapen and..."


Weird, Wild West: Patrick deWitt’s The Sisters Brothers


Tom Dark says "No fair changing things after I pointed them out. Then again, glad to have rectified it. Can’t seem to find any actual real..."


Bartleby’s Occupation of Wall StreetFree Publishing with Lulu


Publish your book for FREE and make your book available in print and on the iPad® and NOOK™ via our FREE ePub Converter. If you want your work in front of the most customers, you've got to offer it in the most formats. So don't wait. Publish today.














Read more...ADVERTISE WITH BLOGADS TO


bookmooch: The Baby-Sitters Club #5; Dawn and the Impossible T http://t.co/1lKp46DL #ladyjess #US #chldAmityThe Hunger Games Collector’s Edition Edition Gets Updated Release DateWhat Do You Want for Your Country?Time is running out ...Presented By:Yecch.


Advertise on Blogs


Sick of Partisan Politics?


Find out what's really wrong with both parties in this new book and LOL too!Read more...Genius is a choice, not a gift.


PRACTICAL GENIUS is Gina Rudan's life-changing plan to help you tap into your everyday genius and unleash extraordinary success and satisfaction in work and life.






Click to visit the Practical Genius website to learn more.






Buy your copy today:


Amazon


B&N


Books-a-Million


Powell's


Read more...Buy a Blogad!Advertise now on The Millions and other book sites!


..The Millions


Home


Features & Columns


About
Contact


Book and Reviews


Book Lists


Links


Support the MillionsFeatures


Essays


Reviews


Lists


Prizes


The Future of the Book


Torch Ballads & Jukebox Music


Screening RoomColumns


Ask a Book Question


Staff Picks


Millions Quiz


The Millions Interview


Inter Alia


Modern Library Revue


Quarterly ReportSpecial features


A Year in Reading


2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006,


2005


The Millions Top 10


Notable Articles


Best of the Millennium,


Readers' List


National Poetry Month


CuriositiesStay Connected


Subscribe


Facebook


Kindle.© Mmix The Millions. Some rights reserved. This work is licensed under a cc attribution-noncommercial-Sharealike 2.5 License.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment